100 pounds. That’s right. According to this website, I have chosen the #1 new years resolution, which will have a success rate of 8%. Oh joy, I just love a good challenge. But Megan, you say, that’s so much and so dramatic. What could have compelled you to consider such a freakishly (small human sized) amount? And I will rattle off all the many reasons I have decided this is the year to complete such a task:
- Except for when I was pregnant with Porter, I have never weighed this much in my life.
- I don’t enjoy wearing my nice clothes.
- There are 4 numbers, which I plan on finding out in the next couple weeks, that I’m scared of knowing. They are my cholesterol, blood sugar, blood pressure and body mass index. These, surely, need to go down.
- Frankly, I just don’t feel that healthy. I get winded easily and hearing myself breathing on the videos I take is NOT appealing.
- I’ve got this crazy fascination with the number 154.
- If I’m constantly waxing on about my authentic self, but not looking/feeling in a way that matches my mental happiness then I’m nothing but a hypocrite.
- Porter deserves a better example than eating chocolate croissants in the car and sneaking bites of candy in between meals and drinking root beer. Although they were all really nicely made quality treats.
- Porter and Luke need me to be healthy and active.
- I can’t remember the last time I felt comfortable in my body. I take that back, I feel great when I’m dancing (although that’s been harder lately) and when I was in 3rd/4th grade. After that, I pretty much know I could be better.
- And the main reason for losing 100 pounds is…in a year I plan on getting pregnant again. I don’t know about other ladies, I think many will feel the same, but after having my first baby all the reserves of good health are gone. If I want to have a home birth and then a newborn again, I’m gonna need all the health and stamina I can get.
So, now you’re wondering what crazy fad diet I’m going to do to shed these pounds? No fad diet, no counting calories, no portion control, no points. What I’m going to do is cut out grains and high starch foods. What I will be able to eat is Real Foods: vegetables, fruits, nuts/seeds, meats, fish, cheese, eggs, a little bit of dairy, Real Salt, oils/fats, kombucha. If you look at that list of items and then consider the endless possibilities, there will be plenty for me to eat. I’ve tried all the diets before and I know this works for me, so don’t feel too bad that I’m missing out on baked goods and ice cream. I’ve eaten enough of those to last a lifetime already. We do have a tradition of eating out on Friday nights that I’m going to maintain. I’m not a total party pooper. I already do yoga, dance and water aerobics at the gym and will keep that up. Plus I have a toddler, period.
And so, here’s the part that is really terrifying. I’m going to use you guys as my accountability. If there’s anything I learned from last years resolutions of 30 day challenges, it’s that when I promise to post regularly and with hard facts, I will follow through. Every Wednesday on Waking Up Happy for the next year has been dubbed “Weigh In Wednesday”. This means I’ll post my current weight and measurements and the occasional photo to document this journey.
The reason this is terrifying is because I’m a big gal. I have 100 pounds to lose. And while anyone can see me walking down the street and know that, I’m still scared of being judged and ridiculed in all assortment of ways. But I figure, if this blogger (who I follow and is great) can come out of the closet to his LDS family, after 2 divorces, a son, and having considered driving off a cliff near his home in Utah…I can at least be honest about my weight. Especially if it’s going to help me reach my goal and hopefully inspire others. So, here goes. Weigh In Wednesday has begun!
Weight: 261 pounds
Left leg: 32.5″
Left arm: 17″
I’ve got a long way to go. I know I can achieve this, in my heart of hearts. What I’m not sure of yet is how I’ll maintain when I reach my destination. Luckily, I’ve got a year to figure it out and great friends and family to love and support me on the way.
Check my latest Weigh In Wednesday results.
What are your New Year’s resolutions? Comments please.